Sunday, January 24, 2010

The father of man.




I try hard but fail to understand what tickles him to laugh so much. How a simple gesture becomes a game and goes on and on till something new and fascinating comes up.

I watch this one and a half year old run up and down the tiny passage knowing so well that he can’t hide, but he tries. I find him and pretend that it was such a task and we laugh, like we have never laughed before.

Minutes vanish into hours and I don’t know how my time goes by playing pretentious games with him.
Games that he believes are true. The two fingers walking towards him to tickle him are actual people, the spider man doll that speaks, and the tiny aeroplane that lands on imaginary airports.

He has all the time in the world and he uses it wisely. He dreams and imagines. He makes stories and pictures in his mind that have no limit and no time.

He laughs from his stomach and smiles from his heart. His laughter fills my ear and my heart with so much love that sometimes it’s hard to fathom.

He knows so much more than me and explains the meaning of life in gibberish that I can only pretend to understand. So that’s what I do. I nod and pretend because that’s what I have learnt to do.

I don’t know where to start to learn from this little man, who unknowingly shows me everything I am missing in my life.
We dance, and for the first time in years I dance without being conscious of who is looking at me and how bad a dancer I am. We do crazy steps and laugh and fall, get up again and dance.

He comes and he hugs me just out of the blue, gives me a smile and walks away...
I wonder about the last time I ‘just’ hugged someone and I can’t remember. I walk after him to cuddle him and give him a million kisses.

There is so much to learn....

9 comments:

R2 said...

Wonderful words woven together in a seamless manner, evokes a plethora of emotions

:)

idletuesdayafternoonthoughts said...

wow :) you ladies are making my day !!!!! thanks though .. i think ive found the idea for the book!

Shuchika said...

awesome aanchal!

i can only imagine him & you do all of that.. and how you must have felt that it made you write this...!!!!

i just love the way you write.. you are one of the very few writers that can hold my attention till the end of the article (that too w/o regressing much while reading..) and you know what it means for me right!!!!!!!!!! i read that you've chosen the subject for the book... please begin aanchal... there's no better time than RIGHT NOW.
and then i have to be one to receive the first copy of the unpublished material... :) all the best and love you lots :):):)

idletuesdayafternoonthoughts said...

thanks su .... finally a comment from u ... cant tell u how awesome it feels :)

Kiran said...

Just one word...it's beautiful because too many words might just ruin the pure feeling with which you wrote this. Love you...

The Learner.... said...

Pure..and beautiful . . :-)

idletuesdayafternoonthoughts said...

thanks !!!!!!!

Hemal Desai said...

did we ever learn anything though all this years since we started learning. I am sad to say majority of us have not, cuz survival takes top priority in life with compare to every thing else, get better marks, get better college, get better job, get better money, get better spouse, and before we know it we have missed it all....

have missed it all.....!

idletuesdayafternoonthoughts said...

@ hemal - you know.... its never too late ------- to start living :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails